Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Reasons I Love SF: More Peninsula Hikes

Windy Hill is a quick drive from where I work but, I didn't even know it existed until earlier this week. A friend and I spent the day exploring its varied terrain, climbing up switch-backs in dense forest growth, enjoying lunch looking over Stanford's campus surrounded by grassland, and tromping down arid hills in the hot sun.

We spoke of our recent trips to Havana and Mexico City and Miami. It was HOT! And, I neglected to satiate myself enough prior to starting up the shaded switch backs. At one point, I thought I may pass out but all I brought along were nuts to snack on... So, once we stopped at the top of the hill, I ate my meager bags of mixed nuts and chocolate covered mangoes, she ate her hefty sandwich, and then we sweated it out, practically running down the steep grade.

Once we reached my car, sitting unshaded in the parking lot, I decided it was time to grab a bigger bite and a beer and we hit up the Alpine Inn, a funny dive-bar beer garden in Portola Valley. Since it was a Saturday evening and over 85 degrees, I envisioned Zeitgeist-like crowds but, instead we were greeted with a band wrapping up its set, a few scattered families, and several gentlemen working on their laptops... We gobbled down fries and Belgian beer, and I chowed on a burger and then called it a day.



No comments:

Post a Comment