Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Soloist

Four and a half years ago, a colleague of mine at ITVS (who happened to be from LA), forwarded me an LA Times article about Nathanial Anthony Ayers, who was recently spotlighted in the film, The Soloist. I just watched the movie and while I was at first suspect about Hollywood making a movie about a homeless man with mental illness, it receives 4 stars in my book. The movie made me think about the homeless people I try to ignore every day and the ongoing homeless issue in San Francisco. It made me think about how Mr. Ayers' life has changed and how many lives remain confused and lonely.

I also recalled a series of articles that were published the same year as the LA Times article about Ayers. Mayor Gavin Newsom started a program called Care Not Cash when he was elected back in 2004. The other day, I had lunch with one of my colleagues who passes out food with a self-proclaimed Punk Priest. There are so many people trying to help but, San Francisco's homeless population continues to rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment