Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Noise and Sun

In memory. It's September 11th. I'll never forget what this day means and honor those who lost loved ones 9 years ago.

As I walked to the Noe Valley Farmer's Market, this morning, I listened to a great podcast that was so appropriate. Called the Art of Noise, it was focused on noise, the lack of it, and how some artists and scientists have changed it into something beautiful. Noise is something that I tend to complain about, while still living in an urban environment and being unwilling to change that fact. Some of my favorite quotes were (with some minor paraphrasing): (1) I hate the noise but, love to hate the noise; (2) noise is really man-made, nature can't make noise, can it? and (3) being silent taught me patience.

This month, after unexpected days of fog and low cloud cover in August, we have had several days of sun and it has taught me that I thrive in sun. It reminds me of playing on the sidewalks of Sunnyvale that burned my bare feet, in the summers between grade school years. It reminds me of the scent of heat, what I used to call potato bugs or roly polys inching along the hot suburban sidewalk, riding my bike up and down my block for hours. And bliss. It reminds me of bliss. I'm just glad that summer is finally here...

No comments:

Post a Comment