Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Reasons I Love SF: Craftiness

San Francisco is not the only place in the U.S. that is aflutter with crafting. Since Etsy, the Bizarre Bazaar, and the Renegade Craft Fair came on the scene, everyone is creating something. And, before that, magazines (many of the faves have folded) were on the shelves showing how to knit, quilt, and make a wall vase. DIY is alive and San Francisco has definitely embraced this crafting culture that is making a strong comeback.

Crafting is likely in my genes. My mom was an avid macrame plant holder and wall-design artist when I was just a wee one. She made many of my clothes when I was very little, knitted, crocheted, sewed, and might have even made pottery. To this day, she is an avid quilter and card-maker. So, the fact that I like to use my hands to make my own dresses, recycle sweaters into wrist warmers, and make necklaces out of old t-shirts is no surprise. And, shopping for Christmas always means hitting up either the Bizarre Bazaar or the Renegade Craft Fair, even though I inevitably only end up buying things for myself. But, I love the creativity on display.

And, I love that my friends like to be creative, too. Right now, I am teaching one of my dear friends how to sew. He has repaired holes in sheets and pants and so enjoys our time together stitching that he keeps a bag of projects at the ready in the trunk of his car. Last weekend he stitched some patches from his travels to Australia and New Zealand onto a fleece and made it new again! And, before the holidays, an uber-crafty friend came over to make fabric envelopes to wrap her gifts in. She also came up with handmade center-pieces and seating name plates for her own wedding decor. And, she sent all the guests home with lavender sachets for which she hand-collected, dried, and bundled the lavender. She inspired me to make some fabric and paper wrapping for my gift cards and other gifts for my family at the holidays.

San Francisco may be more crafty or just as crafty as places like Austin and Brooklyn, I don't know. But, no matter where I end up, my sewing machine is coming with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment