Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Reasons I Love SF: Future-focused

It's probably about that time that these reasons start to sound repetitive or redundant. I know that a month or so ago, I already wrote about how unique San Franciscans tend to be. But that being said, in the past few weeks, I've encountered some really interesting people with fascinating jobs and interests. This is common so, I thought I'd blog about it.

A few weeks ago, I went to lunch with an entrepreneurial spirit who leads an organization that makes 24-hour films of people representing "roughly the humanity of the world". He also happens to be affiliated with an organization called the Institute for the Future (IFTF). A week later, he joined IFTF and did a presentation for staff in the program with whom I work. And, it was pretty fascinating. Looking into the future just 10 years is sort of mind-blowing and I can't believe that there are organizations out there that study what is likely to happen in the future and share their findings, recommendations and forecasts. Before the day-long seminar I attended, future thinking was not something I had come into contact with, aside from the standard business-dictated strategic planning gambit. Now, I'd like to learn more; especially about health and well-being and the role bacteria will play in it, how the economic situation around the world might shift, and how philanthropy might change.

No comments:

Post a Comment