Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Reasons I Love SF: Bernal Heights

Bernal Heights is probably one of my favorite neighborhoods in San Francisco. Cortland is the street that feels most like it belongs in a small-town. Every time I drive to yoga class I end up behind a truck that looks like it spent the entire day driving between farmsteads in the 1960's. The driver moseys through town taking exaggerated pauses at every stop sign to ensure the children and families crossing do not fear being run over. Mothers or fathers grab the hands of their one, two, even three children and walk towards the market or the library with smiles on their faces.

Recently, there were a slough of armed muggings happening right on the well-lit Cortland Street corridor. Neighbors, including my yoga instructor, began organizing in the Neighborhood Center and made sure that merchants and residents were aware of the problem and took certain safety precautions. Although I don't live in the neighborhood and did not hear about the issues outside of my yoga class, by the time the SFPD nabbed the culprits, I was leaving my iPhone in my pocket and paying close attention to my surroundings. The neighbors in the yoga studio clearly were a vital part of the Bernal community and wanted to make sure everyone felt safe.

When I started commuting down the Peninsula for work last year, I had hoped to rent in this lovely little haven between highways 101 and 280. Unfortunately, despite its proximity to many housing projects and thanks to Google (and other companies that now offer bus service to and from San Francisco), it has become way outside of my price range... But, I have been enjoying the three times a week that I end up there.


A few of my friends and colleagues live in the area and maybe some day I will too. Until then, I'll just bide my time staring at the treats being peddled at Sandbox Bakery, saying hello to neighbors waxing their surfboards in the garage of their cute bungalow, and popping into Good Life Grocery for fresh veggies.


No comments:

Post a Comment