Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Mexico City in Meals

And, as promised, here are some more photos. This time focused on the amazing food we ate. We only ate Mexican food and I will probably never eat Mexican food in the United States ever again... Especially because, on our third night, we enjoyed one of the best meals I've ever eaten, at Quintonil. There is not any photo documentation for this meal but, it was amazing!

As our first meal, my colleague and I indulged ourselves at Dulce Patria, the restaurant attached to our hotel (super shi shi) that came highly recommended by a friend who recently visited Mexico City.

Check out how pretty the plating is
 
Every morning, my colleague and I ate breakfast at the hotel before heading to the office or Teotihuacan, in the case of Saturday. We spoke as much Spanish as possible (my colleague moreso than me) and our friendly waiter served us fresh fruit covered in coconut milk and honey. Delicioso!!!
 
 
We would then arrive at the office and eat Pan Dulce and more fresh fruit...
 
On the second night in town, one of our colleagues based in our Mexico City office hosted seven of us at her home and made the BEST carnitas and tortilla soup I have ever had. Ever. Not only is she really good at her job but, she is also an amazing chef and a talented artist. Who knew!?
 
Look at our colleague's cute hairless pup, Lola
 
As I mentioned, Quintonil was an amazing restaurant. We weren't very hungry so only ordered appetizers and flan for dessert but, ended up with five or six dishes served to us including a palate cleanser of salted cactus sorbet that I wanted more of... My "perfect egg" appetizer over a Mexican style risotto was truly perfect. And, the meal ended with a delicious conchita and a traditional fermented corn drink.
 
On our fourth night, after hitting up Lucha Libre, we had (more) tacos and nopales at El Califa in the Condesa neighborhood, where two of our other colleagues live. They were good tacos. And, we were not the only ones partaking of them at midnight. We sat outside with what felt like hundreds of other revelers enjoying a lovely, warm Spring night in Condesa.
 
 
On our last night, we wanted to go back to Quintonil but, they were hosting a private party. So we tried another recommendation from our restaurant guru colleague, La No. 20 but, they were booked. As a last (but not least) resort, our hotel concierge secured us a reservation at the family restaurant Villa Maria. We didn't realize we could have eaten some traditional dishes, instead opting for some of the restaurant's famous margaritas (mango for my colleague and tamarind for me) to complement mole and meat. We topped it off with corn cake.
 
 
Needless to say, I might still be full. A week later... 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment